Sunday, April 22, 2007

Did You Know I'm Korean? Party People All Around

Mama, tamen shi shenme ren?
Hanguoren ma?

roughly translates to

Mom, where are those people from?
Korea?

This was asked by a Chinese person of a group of Americans (including myself), Kiwis, and a South African. And then it happened again about ten minutes later. I know lots of Americans find it hard to differentiate between Asians, but in China, apparently people have trouble distinguishing between everyone non-Chinese. Black, brown, white, they all look the same. And I look Korean.

Haven't been up to much lately, just a few birthday parties and end-of-week parties.

A few weeks ago our recently arrived French teacher had a birthday, and we went to the night market for dinner before Allyssa and I split off for the club. This is one of two in Weihai, and by far the better one. Check out the videos below.





Nadeige's birthday cake and butcher knife:



Making noodles for dinner at the night market:



Yum!!!!!! Deer penis baijiu (aka white liquor, as yes, that long cylinder is what you think it is):



Next came Allyssa's birthday. Here she is getting her head smashed into her cake:



And her second cake [that weird mythical creature-looking thing is a dragon/donkey (Allyssa's favorite animal) hybrid]:


And lots of sushi for dinner:



This Sunday we went for another hike, to a small village outside of Weihai, and the area turned out to be beautiful. Fruit (peach?) trees are starting to bloom. It was one of the first times in a long time I've been able to hear the wind and birds chirp without the background of cars and other noise pollution.




This coming Tuesday marks the beginning of the ninth month I've been here (it's hard to believe). It also marks the day that Matt Merker and Andrew Levine arrive for 10 and 17 days, respectively, as well as my aunt and uncle, to visit me. I'll meet them in Beijing to see the usual sites, then we'll head to Xi'an, home of the Terra Cotta soldiers and Huashan, and then we'll head back to Weihai before Matt departs for home and Andrew and I make one last excursion to Qingdao, home of one of the best beers in China!

I'm sure pictures and stories will abound.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nana will be devastated knowing that you are Korean. You're off the list. haha

25 April, 2007 08:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home