Sunday, October 15, 2006

Another Temple, Already?

On Saturday, one of my classes invited me to go with them to visit Chishan Fahua, a Buddhist temple about 90 minutes away. They chartered a bus for the trip, which left at about 8am. Everyone brought their lunch in a sack and ate it together in the shade at the temple complex. It reminded me a lot of a field trip I would have taken in middle or high school. I was able to get to know my students a lot better, though, and I think it helped them see me as a real person, not just a teacher. It also helped them see me within the context of a photograph, as I posed for no fewer than 50 of them with various students, in almost every possible combination.

Anyhow, the temple complex we visited is actually only ten years old or so, despite what you would guess by looking at the buildings and grounds. Apparently, the nearby city decided that building this Buddhist area would contribute a lot to the tourist industry, and indeed it has, as the place was pretty full of sightseers. Basically, the idea seemed to be "We're going to build this Buddhist temple, and then you're going to pay to come visit it." I guess this can sort of be compared to the ideology behind Disney Land or other theme parks, but the problem I have is that the concept here involves religion. I'm not Buddhist, but the act does nothing to make me think more deeply about Buddhism; conversely, the fact that it seems perfectly alright to build giant statues of Buddha just so people will spend money to see them seems a little shallow; in Christianity this would constitute building false idols. I know I am influenced by this knowledge, and that anthropologists would argue that I can't evaluate one religion based on another's values, but I this would be a bad idea for any religion. Sure, people pay to visit Christian churches and sites, but these are either still being used for worship or were created for that purpose. Or, am I forgetting or missing something?

The giant Buddha in the complex:


Another big Buddha statue. This one revolves and plays music.


Part of the temple complex:


Most Buddhist temples have this rather large lip on the entrance to the temple. It seems like it would make it rather difficult for the elderly and disabled to worship in them (and indeed it does), but the belief is that if you lift your legs rather high in order to enter the temple, you will be better prepared to overcome the obstacles you face in life.


A prostitution "uniform" from last century. I must say, those pants could not e any easier to access


Shoes made for women with bound feet. They're tiny. I'm glad this practice is finished.


My seven male students in my junior writing class of 32 students, standing in front of the entrance to the temple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home