Saturday, October 07, 2006

Class

These are a few pictures from some of my classes. As you can see by the desks, it is very difficult to plan activities that require students to move around the classroom, as each time someone in the middle of the row wishes to get up, everyone else in the row has to do the same.

I have five classes a week, and each meets for two hours Four of my classes are writing classes (two are sophomore level, two are juniors), and the other one is an oral class at the sophomore level. My writing sophomores are learning how to write essays (paragraph construction, thesis, etc.), while the junior writers are reining their knowledge of the basic five-paragraph essay. Although I have reviewed this model with both of my classes, most of the work they turn in lacks a thesis or any real planning or development, instead looking more like stream of consciousness prose.

I was surprised to learn that I would be teaching the five-paragraph essay in college, as this is something I learned in late elementary school or early middle school, but they really have no prior knowledge of it here before university. The students may only write one serious research paper before they graduate, and as it may be their first, it's usually full of structural and format errors. Indeed, my students are learning this method to be able to complete their thesis to graduate,and they have a long way to go. Longer, structured Essays just aren't assigned earlier, perhaps because teachers would be so overwhelmed by the amount of reading that would be required. Still, it seems odd that this basic structure would not be taught earlier, as it provides the basis for students in the West to explain, persuade, and perhaps most importantly, criticize and analyze.




These final pictures are of my sophomore oral class, which is learning more about public speaking. Because most of their prior language classes have been quite large (this speaking class has almost 30 students, for instance) and been taught by Chinese teachers, they have had relatively little actual speaking experience, even though they have been learning English for more than a decade. Below, I am trying to encourage posture and confidence by having them stand on the "speaking stone", though this student is circumventing my efforts by choosing to read her speech.



These pictures are from a talent show a couple of nights ago for the new freshmen after . completion of their basic military training. I think it was supposed to be a reward, but some of the acts were painful to listen to.The show was much more of a production that any "talent" show I have ever observed in America, though the performances were quite similar: mediocre singers, boy-band choreographed dances, martial arts maneuvers, and opera singing. Ok, so maybe some of the acts were different!


Look at how many freshmen there are! They are all dressed in the same uniforms that they wear in the sun during maneuvers for eight hours each day.


OK, that's all for now. I'm off to Beijing tomorrow for the National Holiday. Be back in about five days, with stories I'm sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home